Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Pulling Inspiration From Destruction

I think it's a shame if we can't find beauty and inspiration in tsunamis, earthquakes and destruction. If you take away the identification of form, if you take away the "how does this affect me" thinking [and the thinking in-general], and you take a step back and look at the big picture and some of its intricacies ... you can easily see beauty in a power that's so massive you can't even begin to completely understand. The colors. The proportion. The brokenness. The destruction. Hell yeah.

I could sit here and make this about me, and live in fear for when an earthquake of this degree hits San Francisco. Or, I could choose to be amazed by this kind of 'art.' I choose to be amazed. In wonder. Inspired. Why? Because life is more enjoyable this way, and I don't have the luxury of living in fear.

Pulling inspiration from the tsunami:

And pulling some images from Balenciaga for reference:

I begin to drape in tissue paper [because it's cheap and easy to play with]. I turn off my thinking, and let my hands be free.

The beginnings of the pattern:

Next step is a muslin mock-up. More to come. In the meantime, I dare you to find the beauty in tsunamis. In trash. In things you 'think' are bad. I dare you.