Thursday, September 9, 2010

Rescuing History

I am sure that my passion and interest in clothing and personal style came from my grandmother, Mimi. Mimi always had impeccable style and the most beautiful clothes. And lucky for me, Mimi kept most of her clothing from the 60s, 70s and 80s. And if it wasn't for me, Mimi would be donating said clothes to local thrift stores in Toledo, Ohio, had I not come to their rescue.

To me, the clothes aren't just clothes - they are history. My grandmother's history, my family's history. Each garment tells a story. Some of these stories I know, some I don't know. My grandmother wore these clothes, my grandfather bought them for her. Mimi experienced beautiful memories in these clothes, Papa at her side. And I will continue experiencing my grandparents through these clothes, as they are safe in my possession.

The Toledo, Ohio fashion shoot:

My brother in law wearing one of the many sequined jackets that Mimi owned:
Mimi and Papa:

No comments:

Post a Comment