Thursday, May 19, 2011

I really really love psychotic artists

I really really love psychotic artists. Case in point, my favorite artist, Louis Wain, whose schizophrenia can be seen in his totally outrageous, and totally lovable, cat paintings. Artists such as Louis Wain seem to tap into something that most of us can't understand. Something different. Something completely outrageous, and a little uncomfortable for most of us you.

So you can imagine how overjoyed I was to find John Wayne Gacy. Psychopath artist. From Wikipedia:

John Wayne Gacy, Jr.
(March 17, 1942 – May 10, 1994) was an American serial killer also known as the Killer Clown who committed the rape and murder of 33 teenage boys and young men between 1972 and 1978. Twenty-six of Gacy's victims were buried in the crawlspace of his home, three others elsewhere on his property and four victims were discarded in a nearby river. Gacy became known as the "Killer Clown" due to his charitable services at fundraising events, parades and children's parties where he would dress as "Pogo the Clown," a character he devised himself.

In prison, Gacy began to paint. The subjects Gacy painted varied, although many were of clowns—some of which depicted himself as "Pogo." Many of his paintings were sold at various auctions for prices ranging between $200 and $20,000 apiece (Wikipedia)

The dude painted creepy clowns! How awesome is that? Way more interesting than a painting of Marilyn Monroe or a can of tomato soup. Just my opinion.

My grandparents actually had this ridiculous clown painting in their house. I have no idea who the artist is. This photo was taken last summer at their house, before they moved out. Shoot I wish I took this painting home!
***I am wearing ridiculous outfit too - some of my grandmother's old pieces.