Saturday, April 10, 2010

Fashion and Sustainability - a Journey of Discovery

My eco professor, Lynda Grose, spoke at the De Young yesterday about fashion and sustainability - and what designers around the world are doing. Those who attended were intrigued. Wanted to listen. Wanted to learn. Felt passionately. Wanted to participate and share. I sat in my seat, smiling - in disbelief that this is my life. I get to be a part of this. I get to be her student. I'm feeling better about my previous discomfort.

There are tons of good design solutions that don't rape our world of precious resources. A few of us wore some of these solutions - I wore a yellow dress (pictured below) that used to be stained from Strawberry juice that was dropped onto it at a wedding. In order to be able to continue wearing the dress & to deter it from going to a landfill [where it won't decompose ...], an embroiderer embroidered the names of the married couple and their wedding date onto the dress, covering the stain. Super subtle. Other solutions were a dress that was designed to be dirty - you can stain it, wipe your hands on it - it's part of the design to prevent overwashing. And another dress was made up of tons of panels with snaps - you can change the neckline, hemline or the color simply by shift the snaps to allow the wearer some variety.

Here are a few pics:








1 comment:

  1. Nice trip guys. Hope that I should go there also. You are looking very fabulous together. Hope that the environment is lovely. You are looking so pretty with colorful dress. Just looks like butterflies. So beautiful. Here is information about latest fashion. click below.
    black trench coat women

    ReplyDelete